Call for applications – Communications Consultant
Location: Geneva, Switzerland/Mumbai, India/Remote
Contract: 10 months | October 2022 – July 2023
The Medicines Patent Pool (MPP) is a United Nations-backed public health organisation working to increase access to and facilitate the development of life-saving medicines for low- and middle-income countries. Through its innovative business model, MPP partners with civil society, governments, international organisations, industry, patient groups and other stakeholders to prioritise and license needed medicines and pool intellectual property to encourage generic manufacture and the development of new formulations. To date, MPP has signed agreements with eleven patent holders for thirteen HIV antiretrovirals, one HIV technology platform, three hepatitis C direct-acting antivirals, a tuberculosis treatment and a licence for long-acting technologies.
In 2020, MPP’s mandate was temporarily expanded to include COVID-19 treatments. In 2021 it was expanded further to include the licensing of technology with an initial focus on COVID-19 vaccines and pandemic preparedness. MPP was founded by Unitaid, which continues to be MPP’s main funder. MPP’s work on access to essential medicines is also funded by the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC).
For more information, please visit our website, https://medicinespatentpool.org/
MPP is seeking an external communication consultant to work with the Head of Communications and the communication team at MPP to translate MPP’s new strategy into engaging communications tools and materials and to support the dissemination of the new strategy to MPP’s key audiences. And to develop, write and produce MPP’s 2022 annual report.
- MPP Strategy 2023-2025
- To work from MPP 2023-2025 Strategy to develop external document that sets out the objectives of the strategy, 4 to 8 pages.
- To develop tools that staff can use to explain the Strategy to external stakeholders and supporters, such as PowerPoint, graphics and animations
- Work with graphic designers and other consultants to deliver materials
MPP Annual Report
- To work with the different teams at MPP to revise, develop and write MPP annual report 2022
- To research and write engaging stories that will be included in the annual report to illustrated MPP’s work
- To work with designer on layout and to manage the key steps during the whole process.
- To produce both print and digital versions of the Annual Report
- To undertake other communications assignments that may occur during the period of this consultancy.
- Experience in developing communication materials with proven ability to translate complex technical information into a story driven, engaging communication content for digital and traditional communication channels.
- Experience in project management with the ability to work with technical experts internally and external providers ( graphist, designers etc.)
- Experience designing and writing annual reports or other written communication material
- Excellent writing skills and the ability to craft communications for different audiences.
- Computer savvy, with successful experience using graphics, animations and other new technologies and innovative communication tools.
Experience (length and nature)
- Five to ten years of consulting experience or applicable communications experience
- Experience of communications in public health setting required.
- knowledge of issues related to access to medicines and intellectual property a plus.
Education and special training
- University degree in communications, marketing or relevant field
Use of Languages
- Native-level English required.
- Proficiency in French a plus.
The Communications Consultant will need to demonstrate:
- Organisation skills, autonomy and ability to work within short timelines.
- Proactive approach.
- Ability to work analytically, creatively, and proactively in a problem-solving environment.
- Collaborative and supportive approach to teamwork.
- Sensitivity to different cultures and work styles.
- Demonstrable personal commitment to the public health goals of the MPP.
The MPP respects all individuals regardless of race, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, HIV status or disability.
If you recognise yourself in this description, please submit your CV and a short proposal setting out how you would approach the project, detailing your fees and availability to firstname.lastname@example.org including “Communications Strategy Consultant as reference in the subject line by 30 October 2022 midnight CET. This position will be closed as soon as the right candidate will be found.
Only short-listed consultants will be contacted.