Call for Applications – Business Development Manager
Location: Mumbai, India with occasional travel within India and internationally
Working time: 100%
The Medicines Patent Pool (MPP) is a United Nations-backed public health organisation working to increase access to, and facilitate the development of, life-saving medicines for low- and middle-income countries. Through its innovative business model, MPP partners with civil society, governments, international organisations, industry, patient groups and other stakeholders, to prioritise and license needed medicines and pool intellectual property to encourage generic manufacture and the development of new formulations. To date, MPP has signed agreements with ten patent holders for thirteen HIV antiretrovirals, one HIV technology platform, three hepatitis C direct-acting antivirals and a tuberculosis treatment. In 2020, MPP’s mandate was temporarily expanded to include COVID-19 treatments. In 2021 it was expanded further to include the licensing of technology with an initial focus on COVID-19 vaccines and pandemic preparedness. MPP was founded by Unitaid, which continues to be MPP’s main funder. MPP’s work on access to essential medicines is also funded by the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC).
For more information, please see our website, https://medicinespatentpool.org/
1. Main Duties/Responsibilities
The BDM Alliance Manager is a key member of the Business Development team, who under the line management of the Head of Alliance Management and India Operations will support MPPs alliance management and licensing compliance processes.
- Manage alliances and requests with MPP licensees, ensuring the fulfillment of contractual obligations and maintenance of positive relationships:
- Consolidate quarterly data from licensees followed by preparation and distribution of quarterly reports within the BD team
- Monitor and analyze the post-licensing progress of licensees from product development to commercialization in LMICs
- Prepare presentations for quarterly review meetings with licensees and present the consolidated data in these meetings
- Always ensure compliance by licensees as obligated by the sublicences
- Maintain a proactive approach in dealing with licensees with a focus on increasing access to licensed products in LMICs
- Serve as key internal BD expert on MPP’s out-licensing operations:
- Responsible for managing MPP’s licensed products portfolio
- Act as a focal point for sharing knowledge on the generic product development landscape, national registrations and sales analysis
- Work closely with internal colleagues and MPP licensees in understanding the market access challenges and envisage the potential impact
- Engage regularly with BD Scientific Manager to stay abreast of the latest scientific updates and regulatory guidelines within the scope of MPP
- Analyze market forecasts of licensed and potential candidates in LMICs and get inputs from licensees on such information, followed by internal dissemination
- Identify gaps in effective coverage of licensed products and coordinate with licensees to encourage product registrations in such countries
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Head of Alliance Management and/or Head of Business Development, including:
- Maintain data automation tool with external providers and ensure periodic upgrades as and when required
- Manage, mine, and analyze data sets from product development to commercial sales
- Collaborate with the in-licensing team for pharmacovigilance reporting
- Responsible for tracking Stringent Regulatory and Global Fund-ERP Approvals of licensed products and communicating internally on a real-time basis
- Proactively obtain, analyze and share industry intelligence within the BD team
- Cross-functional collaboration with legal, operations, policy, and communications where BD input is required to achieve MPP mission
- Attend external meetings relevant to responsibilities and function
2. Education,Qualifications & Experience
- Advanced university degree in science or relevant field
- PMP certification or other project methodology an asset.
- At least 8 years of relevant experience in a similar role industry
- Alliance Management/Business Development/S&M experience in generic pharmaceutical industry highly desirable
3. Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to mine, analyse and visualize large sets of data; advanced knowledge of MS. Excel; ability to use other data analysis software a plus (Power BI, Tableau, MySQL etc.)
- Excellent project management skills with high level of autonomy and accountability.
- Ability to work on data automation/CRM portals
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills with the ability to adapt to different audiences
- Proficiency in MS Office, PowerPoint and Excel
- Native proficiency in English is required
4. Personal Qualities
MPP’s richness lies in its staff: a small dynamic and multicultural team.
To flourish in our team, you must recognise yourself in our values: Respect, Courage, Generosity and Commitment and demonstrate the following personal qualities:
- Organised, autonomous, and able to work within short timelines and new areas
- Extremely meticulous and excellent attention to detail
- Supportive team player with demonstrated interpersonal, collaborative and conflict mitigation approach
- Ability to work with relatively senior and more experienced people especially those outside the direct sphere of influence
- Sensitivity to different cultures and work styles
- Friendly personality
MPP respects all individuals regardless of race, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, HIV status or disability. All qualified applications are welcome.
If you recognise yourself in this description and wish to join our outstanding team, please send a cover letter and C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org including “BDM-AM India” until 11 November 2022.